Tuesday, June 10, 2014

May 19th 2014

Mom,
I like that you put smiles everywhere haha. My last companion has taught me the importance of giving sincere compliments and being positive. I know that if you start with yourself by doing just that, that is will rub off eventually on them. But it takes patience and consistency!
My new companion is straight from the MTC and she is from Battleground, Washington! Her name is Sister Smith and she is a fireball when it comes to the gospel! She has a strong testimony of Joseph Smith and her prayers are so sincere. They aren't very long, I like that haha. Sometimes we can get insincere in our prayers in front of other people because we might be trying to please them instead of talking with our Creator simply and clearly as his child. We have been working as a mission on having shorter more powerful lessons. I thought about it and I really would probably get bored with two people lecturing me for an hour unless they were really funny or something haha. It makes sense that we ought to take less time explaining all the details and just learn how to clearly and simply present the doctrine and let them feel the Spirit.
I took the Spanish test on Thursday before transfer meeting and I wasn't nervous at all cause I know I am going to fail hahahaha. Being in an English area has made me forget a lot of things that I used to know. But it is wonderful to get to talk to the occasional Spanish Speaker.
On Friday as we were going about we had to park for a moment to figure our which address to put in the GPS. I looked up and saw a man and woman sitting on the porch of the house that we parked in front of. I felt like they probably were wondering what we were doing right in front of their house. So we got out and I explained that we were missionaries and were just trying to figure out where to go for a second. I don't even remember how we started talking about the gospel, it just flowed. We scheduled a return appointment for Sunday. When we went back yesterday only the son was home, he answered the door a little confused and then the mom drove into the driveway a second later! That was miracle number one. She hurried up and told him to sit down and listen to us. He didn't understand why or who we were but he sat down haha. She grabbed some chairs for us and we all sat on the porch. Her other son came to the door and stood at the door to stay and listen. Then their two younger sisters came up and we taught the Restoration on their porch. The mom, Elodia, said that she has seen missionaries in Mexico riding their bikes and that she wants her son to be one of them someday! We invited them each to be baptized and they each said yes! We rescheduled an appointment for tonight (the following day). We walked away in awe haha. I am grateful for the strong faith that my new companion has. She did such a great job! I was so proud of her!!
We also ate dinner with Ani and Adam on Saturday and invited them to come to church. I was wondering what has been keeping them from coming. Sometimes we put obstacles in our own way. Faith is the key. Do we have faith that if we depend on God that he will take care of us? Do we have faith that if we gave our all, our heart, might, mind, and strength, that he would provide for us and bless us and guide us? Repeatedly in the Book of Mormon the promise is made that if we will keep the commandments we will prosper in the land. Isn't keeping the Sabbath Day holy one of those commandments? Where is our faith at? Do we actually believe that promised blessings are in store if we keep that commandment with exactness?
I am grateful for the knowledge that we have of the Plan of Salvation. I am grateful that we understand more clearly the things that are in question in the rest of the world because of the Restoration of the Gospel. I know that the Book of Mormon is evidence of our Father's mercy for us, his imperfect children. I know that we have a living Prophet today, and for that I am thankful.
I love and adore you!
Hermana Ally Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment