Monday, April 14, 2014

April 7th 2014

I have prayed and asked God where to go to college. I am going to apply to BYU Idaho and UVU. I will be going into Music and/or Elementary Education.
Something funny that happened this week was we were helping the Barreras to rake their lawn and a truck drove by with a barbeque attached to the back. There was smoke coming from it and so we all paused to watch the truck drive by and stop at the stop sign. We saw a man get out from the drivers seat with an apron on and a spatula. He then proceeded to open up the barbeque and flip some sort of meat! He closed it and got back in the truck and went on his merry way! ONLY IN TEXAS!!! We loved it and I was laughing for hours! You better believe that I wrote that in my journal haha.
My companion is such a blessing to me. She is so funny and the other night I was rolling on the floor laughing at what she was saying. I can't remember for the life of me what it was that she said but we were laughing so hard hahaha. I like to try to be funny like her ;) She loves everyone and notices the good and points it out too. It changes things from sad to happy in mili-seconds.

We are continuing to teach the Barrera Family and the father joined in for a lesson on Saturday. He expressed that he is more spiritually prepared now than we was in the past. We invited him to be baptized on the same day as his children, on the 19th of this month, and he said yes!! His wife who is a member had tears fill her eyes. I thought of how long she has been praying for this, how many prayers her parents have offered for this, and how happy his children were to feel a strength in their family added to them! I caught myself in the middle of probably the biggest smile I have ever had on my face!! A FAMILY! A family. To think about it now still makes me emotional. I am so excited to be their best friends for the rest of our lives :)
Conference truly uplifted me in ways that I didn't even know that I needed. I have been learning a lot about supporting my companion and also the necessity of obedience. In Conference I noticed many themes of the talks including obedience, repentance, the Resurrection, and my favorite Book of Mormon scripture was mentioned more than 3 times. Its funny because I had read that verse where I am at in my Spanish Book of Mormon on Saturday morning... I can't help but think that I must have a trial awaiting me somewhere in the near future. But as we learned from Elder Bednar's talk, it is the LOAD which enables us to move forward. It is the load that gives us traction. A common theme that I have noticed on my mission has been that of Sacrifice. We MUST sacrifice some things for ETERNAL HAPPINESS. Our Savior sacrificed EVERYTHING for our eternal happiness, why shouldn't we have to sacrifice something as well? When investigators sacrifice sleep or popularity or money and work to come to church, they receive more blessings than they possibly could have obtained from their own efforts. When we sacrifice 10% of our gross income we are showered with blessings. When we sacrifice time to help, comfort, or lift SOMEONE ELSE the blessings that come to both parties are numberless.
I also noted the theme of standing for truth. It is in those small moments or those "gray areas" in which I find myself falling short. There is no gray area. When we feel that there is it is simply a test of our Faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement. A test of our LOVE and OBEDIENCE towards him. Basically I write these things to you in hope that I will learn, remember, and apply them better and quicker. It is almost like a self pep talk haha.
I love you and cherish you. I pray that others will come in to your life that may be of support to you and show you our Heavenly Fathers love.
I heard from Elizabeth that you are taking on many crafts! Good for you! I am inspired by you to be creative and have often found myself drawing or doodling while my companion is on the phone or while I eat. :)
You have such a strong spirit and I know that you are a terrific example to the kids :) I love my brothers and sisters here in Texas and there living with you.
Here are some pictures for ya!
Hermana Hopkins



No comments:

Post a Comment