Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lessons to Learn

Not sure how to edit this one (the stuff meant for family) But it got sent as is to others. So here's her whole letter.


I am so glad that you learned so much. You have been an anchor in my life and I am so grateful that you have such a strong relationship with the Savior. It is sometimes sad to meet people out here that don't have that.
Yes I did receive the package. I received it on the 24th so it took exactly one month from the time that you wrote/sent it to the time that I received it. But don't worry, I was able to get a small 10 day supply out here and was taken care of. The last pill was used on the day that I received your package :) Little tender mercies like this one help and comfort me to know that everything is going to be okay, God is in charge.Our loving and merciful Father is in charge.
I sent a letter to Andrew last week so he should have received it in time before moving to a different place. I am glad that he asked that question because it shows that he really has a desire to know. I was thinking just the other day and pondering, are my siblings saying their own personal prayers? I used to pray before my mission but it was always in my bed as I fell asleep. Now I pray on my knees every morning and every night. I don't fall asleep in the middle of my prayers that way and it is also showing respect. I challenge you and each of the kids to say your morning and night time personal prayers on your knees every day. Will you do that? I know that when we pray with sincerity and respect that our Heavenly Father is pleased with us and blesses us to be able to have more inner peace and protection from Satan's sneaky tricks. This is something that has greatly blessed me and that is why I thought of it for you, I want blessings for you too.
I would love more pictures :) Especially of family. You and the kids, everyone. I love you all so deeply.
I am learning to not be afraid of what others might think. Also that being bold is the only way to share the truth. People don't like to hear us beat around the bush. Yes, this is Christ's only true church on the earth today. Yes, we do believe that we have a living prophet. Yes, we do believe that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. No, we do not believe in the Virgin Mary. No, we do not go shopping on Sunday. No, we do not drink coffee or alcohol. Yes, we are different.
Sometimes I get frustrated by what some people say to us but then I have to calm myself down and remember to do what Christ would do and say what he would say. I am not Ally Hopkins right now, I am Sister Hopkins, a representative of Jesus Christ. The other day an investigator says she respects our cult but doesn't believe what we have to say unless it is in the Bible. I almost didn't hear what she said... Cult? Haha I just kind of didn't know what to say or do... We have been over to share with her about 5 times now and she still thinks we worship Joseph Smith. That is the point when we have to realize that some people are just not ready to open their hearts and ears. We have to move on and find those who are ready to listen and really ask God what HE wants for them. These people do exist! There are people who are prepared and ready to hear the message of the restored Gospel because they truly want to do the Lord's will. Sometimes I think of how difficult it must be to believe a missionary without any background on the Gospel. But that is why the Spirit is so important. Our words don't and can't convince people. We all have agency. The Spirit is the teacher. If not, gospel truths can not be truly learned or understood. The Spirit speaks to us through the still and peaceful feelings we receive. We must remove all other distractions, thoughts, sounds or whatever they may be, in order to recognize the promptings of the Spirit. It is not a loud voice and crying is not always evidence of the Spirit. But it is a peace and a calm that comes from God. "Be still and know that I am God." Doctrine and Covenants 101:16
I promise you that as you pray daily you will be able to recognize the Spirit more in your life, every single day.
I love you and I know that the Lord is watching over you. I know that He lives and that He is our Savior and Redeemer.
Hermana Alexandria Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment