Tuesday, May 13, 2014

April 28th 2014

I decided to change my major to Elementary Education. I am going to attend UVU. I was thinking maybe I can live in Grandma's house so that I don't have to pay rent? Or with an aunt or uncle? Preferably closer to orem than farther away?

So this week was awesome :) This following week is going to be insane! Tomorrow we will be on an exchange, Wednesday is district meeting, Thursday is the mission leadership meeting, Friday we have another exchange with the Sisters who are over us, and then Saturday we have an exchange with another set of sisters! Sister Breakall and I committed to sitting next to each other no matter what during our meetings since we won't get to be together a lot during this week haha.

We started teaching Christina this week who is a friend of a member in the singles ward. We had our first lesson with her on Thursday and she had already been reading the Book of Mormon. She was in 4th Nephi! Then on Saturday at our next lesson she had finished the Book of Mormon and gotten to section 27 of the Doctrine and Covenants!! She said that she has a lot of time to read while she is at her job because she watches over a man who is on his death bed and he sleeps for 5 of the 12 hours that she is there. So she reads a lot! She has also already read all of the Gospel Principles book! She is just amazing. She is going to be baptized on May 10th.

We are still teaching Crystal and we taught her the law of chastity this week. She expressed how she wants her daughter to live that law as well haha. She is so humble and very teachable. We are also teaching Ani who is married to a less active member. Ani is also very humble and teachable. Its interesting to note that the prideful don't learn very much or very fast. So if you want to be smart, don't be prideful! 

We had Zone Conference this week and President Slaughter was talking about being decisive and not getting offended. He and his wife said that one of the keys to a successful marriage is learning to never be offended. I thought that was so insightful! I have had companions that get offended if I word something wrong or do some little thing that annoys them and I have also had companions that haven't ever mentioned or seemed like any of that phased them whatsoever. I'd say that is a great goal for all of the human family, to practice just not getting offended so easily. People are going to do things that bug us. Duh. We are all different. Sometimes they will do it on purpose! Either way we can practice a Christlike attribute, patience or forgiveness, or humility. Considering being decisive instead of indecisive, President said that when we are indecisive we are showing a lack of faith and trust in God. We should make a decision based on good judgement and then let the Lord steer us. Again, I have had some different companions with different levels of decisiveness. I admire someone who makes a decision, moves forward with faith. Then if they recognize that they were wrong they admit it humbly and without blaming those around them. Or if they were right they don't brag about it, but give the glory to God ad thank Him for His mercy in showing the way. 

We had Stake Conference this weekend as well and I LOVED it! There was a man (we will call him Brother S) who talked about an experience that he had in selling alarms. I could relate to that haha even though I never actually sold them. Brother S talked about his second day selling for his alarm business that he had just started and his experience with a certain man that he met while knocking doors. The man that answered the door was blind. The man stuck out his hand and said "I'm Harold." Harold ended up letting him in, talking to him, and even signing the papers of agreement. Harold had asked Brother S to describe his parents and his wife to him. Harold had also asked him how many customers he had. When Brother S nervously, yet honestly, said that he only had 6 customers so far Harold agreed to give him his credit card to run. Brother S was amazed by all of this and asked Harold why he was so trusting even though he couldn't see. He said, "I let you in my house based on how you shook my hand, I signed the paper based on how you spoke of your loved ones, and I gave you my credit card based on your honesty."

This story touched my heart. I want to be the kind of person that deep down even to the very bottom corners is honest and true and charitable. How do I become that way? I figured it out, it's by forgetting myself.

The Stake President also spoke of faith. For almost two weeks I had this phrase stuck in my head, "It was by faith." but I couldn't remember where to find it in the Book of Mormon. I searched halfheartedly until yesterday when President Spendlove quoted it. This is exactly what I needed to hear. Ether 12, baby. It has changed me. I wrote that phrase on a sticky note and put it on my wall. 

It was by faith.

Read that chapter in faith and tell me how it changed you.

I love you dearly. I am a daughter of God. I am learning to act my part.

Hermana Ally Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment