Friday, August 9, 2013

August 8th 2013

Here's another update from Hermana Hopkins! Looks like she's included some pictures this time as well!

Have you been to the temple recently? You ought to go, I wish I could go so badly... It's so peaceful there.

I cut my bangs, but thats it. You should be very very happy with me because all this long hair in the hottest time of the year in southern Texas is like showering in your own sweat with a fur coat on haha. I have been having the greatest experiences :)
My companion is so wonderful. She is happy and honest and kind. She is a great example to me.
This area has been rough to be honest. The missionaries before me were not exactly obedient and it has been awkward to tell members that we can't do things that they used to do... Like giving members rides even if they can drive, chatting instead of teaching while at the homes of others, or teaching people outside our assigned area. The Lord has organized his work in his way for his purposes. These things have been outlined by the Mission President as well but the missionaries before me had their own way of doing things. A couple members have gotten annoyed with how we are trying to follow the rules and how I am not like the really cool and fun missionary that they had before me. But I keep holding on to what I have learned over and over during these 6 months of my mission. Obedience brings blessings, but EXACT obedience brings MIRACLES. This area needs MIRACLES. All the doors have been knocked before. Everyone seems to have heard already and doesn't want to hear it again. I would say "That's fine, we will just work with less actives and strengthen the branches here," but there is a set of missionaries here that is specifically over all the less actives. Our job is to find, teach, and baptize. So, with that, we have to find people. That isn't going to come through blessings alone, these people need miracles. These two small branches need miracles. And the way I see it is if I will be liked less or not thought of as "the cool missionary" then so be it. I have been learning a lot about Christ lately. I started "Jesus the Christ" this morning and have committed to read that in any small amount of spare time that I may have as I still will be focusing on the Scriptures and Preach my Gospel. But I want to get to know my Savior better.
We taught a woman named Gabby but she feels like all we talk about is Joseph Smith. I looked down at the table while she said that to us the other day and looked at the puzzle that we had brought... it was compiled of only pictures of the Savior. I couldn't understand how she could think that we were focusing on Joseph Smith when all the pictures right there in front of her were of Christ. It was rather bothersome for me and that is what made me want to study more about the Savior. How would the Savior teach Gabby? How would the Savior treat her? What would he say to her to help her believe and have her faith grow?
I often think about what I can do better to be a better missionary or what the Lord expects of me in this new area. I am sure I will continue to learn and grow. I never stop learning. 

I love you all. More than you know.
Hermana Hopkins





No comments:

Post a Comment